enei Awards 2016
Celebrating Success; Inspiring Others
Zurich Insurance and the Civil Service were applauded for their equality and inclusion policies at the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion (enei) Awards (7 July 2016) which took place at The Law Society, London, sponsored by Santander.
Awarded the top honours of ‘Overall Winner 2016 – Private Sector and Public Sector’ respectively, the two organisations celebrated their achievements alongside social enterprise CleanStart which was named ‘Small Employer of the Year 2016’. Zurich won the Employee Engagement Award this year, and also achieved the Gold Standard in e-quality, enei’s diversity benchmark. The Civil Service won two awards this year, showcasing the success of the Talent Action Plan launched following their recognition as Overall Winner – Public Sector two years ago at the enei Awards 2014. CleanStart were recognised for their outstanding achievements in the Greater Manchester area through the employment of ex-offenders.
This year Santander and South East Coast Ambulance Service achieved the ‘Gold Standard’ for equality – enei’s online benchmark – for the third year running. They are joined this year by fellow Gold Standard employers Zurich Insurance, who achieved the Silver Standard last year, and the Home Office.
Accolades were granted in 19 categories, with winners having to demonstrate a clear response to a specific challenge, definitive and measurable outcomes and evidence of significant impact. The awards acknowledged and celebrated those with a commitment to good practice above and beyond legal compliance and innovative approaches that will inspire other employers. A further 15 organisations were Highly Commended for their work.
Addressing over 250 delegates at the event were vice president of The Law Society, Robert Bourns, who warned about the dangers of imposing a limitation on aspiration because of the circumstances that people are born into, and chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, David Isaac, who when discussing the gender pay gap called for businesses to go further and faster in removing the barriers to progression for women.
Denise Keating, chief executive, enei commented: “The enei Annual Awards recognise the commitment of organisations to achieving diverse and inclusive workplaces, celebrating the teams and individuals who really are making a difference. We have been encouraged by the steps organisations have taken to promote equality and diversity and hope this will encourage other companies to follow their lead. There were over 126 applications for the awards this year and we are delighted that so many organisations are prepared to publicly demonstrate best practice and have been publicly recognised for the innovative work they are doing.”
Categories and Winners:
- Overall Winner 2016 - Private Sector: Zurich Insurance
- Overall Winner 2016 - Public Sector: The Civil Service
- Small Employer of the Year: CleanStart
- Gold Standard Award for Equality – Home Office, South East Coast Ambulance Service, Santander & Zurich Insurance
- Global Diversity Award: Sodexo UK & Ireland
- Inclusive Culture Award: The Civil Service
- Inclusive Communications Award: HM Revenue & Customs
- Employee Engagement Award: Zurich Insurance
- Inclusive Recruitment Award: Bank of England
- Employing Ex-Offenders Award: Joint Winners: CleanStart and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Excellence in Training Award: The Civil Service
- Flexible/Agile Working Award: ScottishPower
- Working Families Award: Pinsent Masons
- Tapping into Talent Award: Home Office
- Intergenerational Working Award: CA Technologies
- Advancing Social Mobility in the Workplace Award: EY
- Wellbeing at Work Award: Royal Mail Group
- Inclusive Procurement Award: Joint Winners: IBM and Minority Supplier Development UK
- Representative Workforce Award: Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Equality & Inclusion Champion of the Year: Lindsey Ambrose, St Andrew’s Healthcare
- Team of the Year Award: Berwin Leighton Paisner
- Employee Network Group of the Year: Land Registry
- Community Impact Award: Paul J Watson Solicitor